When Was the Last Time I Saw the Sun?

I went skiing today for the first time this winter. 

It's been a while! 

I don't think I did any cross-country skiing last winter...

Image: Susanna Kohonen

My body remembered it, though. All of it. Including the pain in the soles of my feet after not having used the skis for a long time. Every time the same thing, no matter how well you warm up and stretch before skiing.

Our bodies are wise. They remember everything, apparently. 

I wonder if my body remembers what it feels like to be in the same meeting room with colleagues or in the same classroom with students, once we get there! What it feels like not to have to restrict myself only to what can be done through the screen and online. What it feels like to have lunch together in the cafeteria and to chit-chat with fellow teachers over a cup of tea of coffee, while complaining about the rush hour, long queues, and crowded lobby.

I have to say I am so looking forward to that time. 

I am getting rather worn out of remote work and nothing but online interaction with colleagues and students.

I propose we already start planning for what we could do once we get to experience the new normal! Real seminars instead of webinars. 

Or rather: Real seminars as webinars, too, on-ground and online, in the hybrid format. Real meetings both on-ground and online, at the same time. Making sure that everyone has equal opportunities to participate. Having the choice to participate either on-ground or online.

We have learnt quite a bit about enabling accessibility and equal opportunities, too, haven't we. 

Let's put our know-how into practice.

- Yes, and the sun! I almost saw it today through the clouds! 

Here's a photo from about two weeks ago, so I can remember what the sun can do:

Image: Susanna Kohonen




Comments